Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ashitenawa (all's good). Well we made it! I typed a really long blog entry on Lindsey's computer, but the computers here at the internet cafe don't have a usb port, so I couldn't copy it over. This will have to be shorter since I am paying by minute. Travel took forever, but it was awesome to finally arrive. We were several hours late arriving at our training center in Okahandja (silent "d") but the staff was waiting outside to seranade us with beautiful songs when we arrived. I had a lump in my throat. Being here is still hard to believe.

Haven't been able to do much sight seeing as training is all day. We are learning about language, culture, safety, etc etc etc and getting shots, by the end my phobia will surely be cured. Its hot here in the sun, but the shade is tolerable, the nights are cool (so far, the end of the year brings the hottest temps). We sleep with a mosquito net, but it is useless so far, since it hasn't rained. The mosquitos come in waves as do to downpours.

We are supposed to find out next week where we will be spending the next two years. I may be teaching a little bit of science as well as math. Our house (not a hut!) will contain a fridge, stove, bed and dresser, we are still unsure about electricity or indoor plumming. Namibia has one of the best water sources in the world, and as a result you can safely drink from any tap - although it smells a little differently than back home.

Our trainers are all highly educated Namibians. They are really cool (as are most of the local town people), and have been incredilby patient with us. Today was our first lesson in Afrikaans, it is very similar to German, and fairly easy to pick up. I've learned basic greetings and how to introduce myself. I will probably have to learn an additoinal language depending on where we go, they speak several languages here.

Haven't seen any animals out of the ordinary other than a 10 legged "spider" that spits venom. They are everywhere. The plants are really diverse and plentiful, there are a ton of cactii. I'll try to get some pictures, although without a stiffy (floppy disk) I don't know how I'll load it on this computer. Sunday our group is planning a hike up the local mountain and along the ridge. It looks really cool, I'm looking forward to that because we have really been stuck inside our training center for most of the day. We have been playing ultimate frissbee in the sand along the dried out river bed after dinner. It's funner that I thought it would be (but its not basketball), last night was beautiful, as the sunset created the ultimate backdrop as we played.

I guess that is it for now...

Comments:
Scott, I like your disclaimer heading at the top of the page. Did someone tell you to write that? Probably a good idea, anyway. It sounds awesome there, except for whatever venom-spitting, 10-legged thing you just described. I can't imagine learning to speak Afrikaans, you guys will have to demonstrate when you come home. I hope you get a good permanent spot... I'm glad you guys aren't living in a hut, I'm sure you're glad as well. How can you have a fridge without electricity, though? Maybe it's more like an icebox? Anyway, good luck getting settled... post again soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?