Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'm leaving Springfield in two days, so I'm in the midst of packing everything. The most frequent advice I get from past and current volunteers is to pack light (several current volunteers have answered numerous questions and given advice, so I guess they aren't too busy and have easy internet access). They claim everything is avalible there, and for the most part, is less expensive, so why should I lug extras over there? Apparetly the PC dress code is less strict than they make it seem, which is nice. So I won't be taking as many "nice" clothes as I originally anticiapted. The closer the departure date comes, the more relieved I feel. Packing, waiting, and saying goodbye is stressful.
We'll be living in the Northern half of the country, which is what I would have hoped for. They say there is a greater chance of having electricty, plus it will be closer to Etosha park and Swaka...(the German town, see previous post). It really makes no difference to me about our living conditions, but I'm thinking they are not going to be as primative as I originally thought.
We leave Monday for D.C. We will get shots and some last minute info/training. Then Wednesday we'll fly to Johanasburg (Jo'burg), stay the night, and then fly to Windhoek on Thursday. Namibia is 7 hours ahead of Central time. I'll be taking pills weekly to prevent Malaria. Most people have no reaction, but a few people have experienced mild hallucinations or crazy dreams a day after taking it.
Not much new info, but next time I write should be from Africa.

Comments:
thank god your doing this. i was concerned i didn't get to talk to you and then i'd find out about africa only in like three more years.
 
Hey Scott, this is Mom just checking how to leave a comment on your blog. So far it is working. Hope you had a nice going away party in Farmington. Pleasant journey to DC and O-Burg. Keep in touch. MOM
 
Scott and Lindsey,

This is just a test to see if I can respond to your blog. Hope you're safe and sound in D.C. Looking forward to hearing from you in Africa.

Later,

Dad
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?