Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dec. 06

I read Lindsey’s blog last night. She is a much better writer, huh? Anyway, we have traveled from our permanent site in Nkurenkuru to Grootfontein for more training. The focus of this training is to practice teaching for a few weeks. We spent Monday and yesterday planning what is basically a summer school program for 157 learners. Today was the first day of “teaching.” I didn’t get past introductions in any of my three 8th grade math classes (I also teach two periods of gym, but I think it is evolving toward recess). English proficiency is not as much of a problem as I thought it would be; most of my students were able to understand what I was saying, I think. It’s funny, though; British English is much more common, so my learners think I have an accent. Several of the other volunteers shared my experience of having timid learners. When asking a question of the class, no one would respond. And they all speak so quietly (well, except for my class of all 8th grade girls). As we were going around the room, I would hold my hand up to my ear and ask them to repeat what they had just said, and they wouldn’t make it any louder the second or third time. I am thankful that discipline is not a problem. Eye contact is super effective. Maybe once they get to know me a little better they will cause more trouble, but maybe not.
Tomorrow I am going to be giving my classes a basic quiz. Although they all (allegedly) passed 7th grade, I have a feeling there is a wide discrepancy of prior knowledge and ability. I hope that will make it clear what I should focus my lessons on. It’s also difficult having only a chalkboard and them having only a paper pad and pen. Also, the math texts here are completely worthless, no exaggeration. Even the design on the cover is flawed. It is decorated like many math books, expressions and equations scattered all about. However, one says x times y times z times z is equal to 2xyz (when it should be xyz squared)! And sadly, the cover is the book’s best feature. Instead of giving examples, it tells learners to ask their teachers for examples. I could go on and on.
Some of the learners seem really neat, and I love that they are so easily impressed. When I told them I was married that simultaneously replied “ooohhh.” Maybe I’ll be able to snap some photos (but that’s another thing. The internet is so slow, it takes forever to upload pictures to my blog or email. I really have to narrow it down to the best ones, but I’ll try getting some asap).

Dec. 11
I got distracted from that last entry and am just now getting back to it. We have now had four days of model school. The students did awful awful awful on the quiz. They need help on everything, so I decided to start with the basics -- multiplication. They understand what multiplication is, they just can’t remember any of the facts. It really pains me to be drilling them. For one thing, it is mind numbing. But also, it reinforces the student perception that coming up with a quick answer is what is valued. I’m reading Teaching as a Subversive Activity right now; which preaches the exact opposite. The book makes so much sense, but with no materials and only 9 teaching days, I decided to just drill them on facts – or, if you will, take the easy way out.
I can’t put the book down, though. I read a few lines, think about it, and read it again. I think when I’m done I’ll have to read the whole thing again. It is absolutely amazing. The most important idea, so far, is Chapter 2: The Medium is the Message. To summarize less elegantly: How teacher’s teach is more important than what they teach. Actually, how they teach is what students actually learn. The book is critical of the traditional classroom, where quick responses and memorization are valued. However, if a teacher values independent and creative thought and asking why, as I do, then the traditional way of learning if far obsolete. It’s not that this book is a new idea by any means; it just provides more background and justifications for such teaching. I think it will have a profound effect on my future employment.
Anyway, back to model school, where I am reinforcing that idea that quick memory is a vital skill to my eighth-grade learners. The students are used to math teachers who usually don’t come to class because they don’t understand math that well. Today I corrected a poster on the wall (and I took joy in blatantly marking out the error) that claimed octagon was nine sides and had the signs (spelled “sighns”) for less than, greater than, less than or equal to, and greater than or equal to backwards – an unforgivable mistake. So, although I’m not doing as much as I feel I should, my presence in the classroom is a much needed improvement.
Today was also the first day that we were no longer allowed to have “gym” class. By gym I mean lax supervised chaos. It drove the “principal” and local teacher nuts, so we had to scrap it. I held a Socratic seminar instead. I didn’t really know how to do it, so I put the kids in a circle, gave them a few dialogue rules, and let it rip. I asked what I thought were pretty good thought-provoking questions about Namibia and America (The most popular reason for why people go to America was to see celebrities). It was like pulling teeth getting them to respond, but I think it was beneficial considering their previous educational experiences. I didn’t interject a single opinion anywhere, so when I was done I opened up the floor for questions. For five or ten minutes I wrote as fast as I could, and I’ve now got enough material for the remainder of model school just to give my opinions and answers to questions. They want to know: What jobs are in America that are not in Namibia? What I like about America? What I think of Dubya and Iraq? What I think about Namibian dress? Is there discrimination in America? What do I think Namibian schools will be like in the future? What languages are in American? How America won independence from Brittan? Did they vote or select George Washington? What tribes are in America? Will I return to Namibia? Which country is more beautiful? What is the young generation like in America? aHave I ever seen Diego or Paloma in person? Or Eminem? Diego and Paloma are two characters in a Spanish soap opera, but most people refer to the show as Paloma. The show is dubbed over in English. Lindsey and I don’t think that the majority of people know that it is dubbed or even what dubbing is. As a result, they think Mexico is in America. Many of them also think that London is in America because Paloma is currently in London. The top three answers to favorite places in the world are consistently America, Mexico and London in no particular order. The Paloma fascination is not age or gender specific. Getting the learners to open up is a challenge, but (like all large groups) some of them are really neat. If nothing else, model school has provided me with an opportunity to interact with people that have a unique viewpoint I’ve never encountered before.
A little about the family we are living with. There is a mom, Maria Lulu, two daughters, Kauna and Siku, a son Trevor, and random but constant houseguests. Kauna, 13, left today for the holidays. She was nice. I can see why she would take the opportunity to leave, her mom made her do all the household chores, and then some. She would even ask her to bring her water, a spoon, or the remote. Siku, 8, is so sweet. We have studied multiplication, division, clocks, and patterns and Lindsey has done reading, writing, and spelling with her. I’m not sure if her interest is genuine or she just likes spending time with us, but, either way, I’m happy to oblige. Trevor, 3, is spoiled rotten like no kid I’ve ever seen. His hobbies are throwing dirt, using the bathroom in the yard, punching and crying. Don’t even get me started… It is difficult for us adjusting to living with a family, for sure, but we’ll manage. That’s all I’m going to say about that.
In the short time I’ve been gone I’ve already learned two things about America. Or, I should say, relearned. I’ve know this all along but not really been able to appreciate it until now. I hope this list will continue to grow as my time away grows, but here’s what I’ve got right now: Opportunity and Access to Information. They are pretty self explanatory, I guess. Maybe I’ll elaborate later.
I guess that’s it for now. For those of you that have emailed me or left a comment, I really appreciate it. I’d really be interested in hearing political or music news (the new Modest Mouse album out yet?) if anyone knows any, just send me a quick email. The internet is just too slow to casually browse for news. I should post again before Christmas, but if not: Happy Holidays.

Comments:
Scott-your observations are so astute and touching. I would love to come visit if I could get my hands on some anti-malarials and a few extra thousand dollars. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my ski trip to montana and my first grad school interview [for the second round] in January (yeah!). Regarding the CDs, I'll get you the new sean lennon and copy the regina spektor and mail it over within the next few weeks. Ps. Saw Matisyahu this weekend FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE. I thought I was having a pseudo-religious (re)awakening. I have never seen anything like it. If your internet was faster, I'd send you the 2 minute video I took on my digital camera. Oh well, you can see it in a few years.
Hope you and lindsay are discovering new things about yourselves in such an environment (and eachother), and hell, if you can handle that three year old in your house that isn't even yours, your own kids will be a piece of cake someday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?